Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Whatever Wednesday: Using a Drop Cloth for Your Photo Opps

 
My husband's family recently had a family reunion with a cowboy theme and I was asked to make a photo prop for the occasion.

After perusing Pinterest for a while, I came across these two photos from Party411.com.

They were pretty adorable, but at $87.95 per piece, it was too much for my budget!   Instead I used the drop cloth that I bought for another project (because it's huge and is able to sustain multiple projects) and decided to hand draw it instead.

Reasons I chose a drop cloth:
  • We were driving from Missouri to Idaho and wouldn't have much room for a big piece of wood; this folded up nicely and didn't take up much space.
  • I wasn't sure what the "venue" would look like when we got there, so I thought cloth would be pretty versatile.  
    • It was!  At first we thought we'd place it on a 4x8 sheet of plywood with the holes cut out for the faces, but that would have cost more money AND then we would have had to of propped up the wood as well.  By using cloth, we just poked holes in the top and sides and were able to support it on a porch-ish area by just tying string to the beams.  It was a bit windy and there was a storm coming in, and it stayed put well! 
Drew with pencil:

Traced with black Sharpie:

If you had a projector of some kind, you could use it to trace.  Or make your own like they did here, using a smart phone, or here, with a box and duct tape, or if you'd prefer a video, check this out, here.  

Then all the painting: I just used craft paint




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi All,

I've had a few random people commenting not-so-nice content on my blogs so now you'll have to go through some comment moderation. But feel free to still leave comments if you'd like!

Thank you!
Krista