Monday, August 3, 2015

Make a Mix Monday: Mixes for the Upcoming Schoolyear

It's August, which means that for many of us the school year is approaching...fast (too fast for my taste)! 

I thought I'd share some of my favorite mixes that help me get a good breakfast on the table quickly, lunch ready in a jiffy and suppers hot before heading out for all the extracurricular activities. 

Breakfasts:

For some warm, perfectly made waffles, try this Cornstarch Waffles Mix.  My kids have loved these ever since their grandpa made them five years ago!



For sausage-cheese balls, pancakes or waffles, try this all purpose Bisquick copycat recipe:

HOMEMADE BISQUICK BAKING MIX

  • 5 Cups All Purpose Flour (I used unbleached)

  • 3 Tablespoons Baking Powder

  • 2 Teaspoons Salt

  • 1 Cup Butter or Shortening (if you use butter it will need to be refrigerated, but it doesn't contain trans fats and nor is it hydrogenated - see my explanation on butter vs. shortening.


If you are looking for oatmeal for breakfast, here's the post with links to 12 delicious recipes!

Lunches: 

Tortilla Mix. My kiddos love to bring wraps and even quesadillas to school for their lunches.  Their schools have a microwave that the kids can use!  (I don't ever remember having that option when I was a kid!)  



But an even better crowd pleaser is pizza! And when it comes in pocket form, it's always a winner!  I love that you can make this into a mix and/or just make them an pop them into the freezer for a lunch when you and the kids, and the husband, are in a hurry.  Check out Karrie's recipe for  Homemade Hot Pockets at Happy Money Saver. 


Dinners: 

This recipe for cream of chicken soup mix is still my most used and most loved dinner mix!   When making casseroles, cream of chicken soup is a given. But I've used this for gravy on potatoes, meat, in the crock pot, etc. I love it!

Another highly versatile recipe is, of course, onion soup mix.  Delicious! 


And this ranch dressing and seasoning mix is a crowd pleaser! 


And for the mix that does just about everything for every meal, this amazing site has the mix and recipes for everything from cookies, brownies and cakes, to quiche (they called it spinach and cheese pie), cornbread, biscuits, and pizza!  Ready-Quick Mix - the mix that does just about everything!

So what are you waiting for?  Start your mixes today to make those school days go by a little more smoothly! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi All,

I've had a few random people commenting not-so-nice content on my blogs so now you'll have to go through some comment moderation. But feel free to still leave comments if you'd like!

Thank you!
Krista