Monday, June 15, 2015

Make-A-Mix Monday: Cornstarch Waffles Mix - Crispy Outside, Soft, Delicious Inside


I'm in my new house now and need to stock up on my mixes again.  I either used them up, or gave them away, or threw them out (hey, sometimes you just don't want to pack one more thing!).  So, here's a new start for Make-A-Mix Monday.

My family LOVES breakfast!  We especially love Cornstarch Waffles!  My father-in-law introduced them to me when he pulled out an ancient cookbook, and I mean ancient as in late 1890s early 1900s, and made breakfast for us.  I've made many a waffle with cornstarch since.  BUT, I wanted to make it a mix so I could speed up that early morning meal-making.

When I asked my FIL for the recipe, he wasn't able to find it again, so I found one that I thought was really similar here.  These tasted a lot like the ones my father-in-law had made - delicious!

Here is my recipe for a mix:

  • 3 3/4 cups Flour (Aldi flour works just fine)
  • 1 1/4 cup Cornstarch
  • 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 2 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 5 Tbsp sugar (you could keep this ingredient out and add 1 Tbsp of honey with your wet ingredients instead)
This will make cornstarch waffles five different times. 

To make the waffles:
  • 1 1/8 cup Cornstarch Waffle Mix
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Mix them all together and place in your waffle maker.  My waffle-maker takes 1/3 cup of batter on each side, making two waffles simultaneously.

For best results, though, here are some yummy things you can do:
  1. Put 1 Tbsp lemon juice in a 1 cup liquid measuring cup, then add the remaining cup with milk.  This will act as buttermilk!
  2. Separate your egg yolk from your egg white.  Add the yolk to the batter, but set the whites aside.  While your buttermilk is being "made", beat your egg white until it's white and foamy with soft peaks when you take out the beater.  
  3. Pour in your buttermilk and then
  4. Fold in your egg white with the batter.
  5. Mix gently; do not over-beat your mix.  

I usually double the recipe and then place the extras in the fridge or freezer for future mornings.  Pop them into the toaster and they are crispy and perfect!  

Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi All,

I've had a few random people commenting not-so-nice content on my blogs so now you'll have to go through some comment moderation. But feel free to still leave comments if you'd like!

Thank you!
Krista