Monday, December 7, 2015

Baking Through the Alphabet: The Letter L

The Letter L:




Letter L Meal:

  • Lasagna (of course)
  • Lettuce Salad
  • Lemonade (home-squeezed - because I had tons of lemons which I bought for the letter L, but then didn't know what to do with them - I mean, what else do you do with two pounds of lemons?) 
  • Lime-Mint cooler (my kids' favorite recipe from their Grammy)


I gave my daughter the choice between a Lemon Loaf cake (which would have been a good use for that pound of lemons) and Lintzer Cookies.  She chose Lintzer cookies and I am so glad that she did!  They were relatively easy to make and because of the almonds that are in them.  They reminded me of my Grandmother Gillis (who is from Germany and always seems to put almonds in everything!).  And for some reason, they reminded me of Christmas.  So, we made enough to give as gifts to our neighbors in a cookie exchange.  Here's where I found the recipe: cookingclassy.com

 





 


Letter L Musicals: (* = ones that are , in my opinion, decent or fun to watch; ** = kid friendly; *** = the one we watched for our alphabet musical)



If I could have seen it in a movie or on broadway, The Light Princess would have been my choice for my kids to see for the letter L.  The Light Princess is a fairy tale by George MacDonald.  He is my husband's favorite author, so we've read it a few times.  Tori Amos did a lot of the music for it, and since I enjoy much of her work too, it seems like something I'd like to see.  BUT, that wasn't an option at the moment, so going on to the next best thing: Disney musicals.  
As we're going through the alphabet, I have come to realize that my kids have not watched some classic Disney movies!  They hadn't even seen The Lion King!  (Good thing we're doing this little project of watching movies incessantly instead of playing outside!)

I haven't shown them Labyrinth yet, but at 11 and 14 I think they could handle it.  It's not my favorite musical but my husband, a true 80s child, loves it!  
  • The Lion King***
  • Lady and the Tramp **
  • The Little Mermaid **
  • The Light Princess**
  • Labyrinth*     










No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi All,

I've had a few random people commenting not-so-nice content on my blogs so now you'll have to go through some comment moderation. But feel free to still leave comments if you'd like!

Thank you!
Krista