Thursday, March 27, 2014

Expanding and updating the master bathroom

 Before and After




When we moved into this house our master bathroom looked like scenery from a bad horror movie...and for ten years we lived with this:


and this type of electrical work - I don't know much about electrical, but that doesn't seem very safe.
Does this look like a fire hazard or what?

On the other side of the tiny, gold and tan plastic bathroom was this very deep but small closet.



But we finally remodeled it! 

Before showing all the room pictures, we couldn't have done this in such a short amount of time without all the help from family and friends.  Svenja, how did I not get a picture of you?



 The back side of the closet from the bathroom.




With the wall dividing the closet and bathroom gone. 

Seeing how much larger the bathroom can be.

Shower base in place.




Scraping the ceiling in the old closet so it will match the bathroom.

Shower plumbing in place (we hired our friend who is a plumber for this work!)
Fixing the floor
Sub-floor on



 
My husband, Nate and his dad, Kerry, made these cubicles for towels and extra storage. (above)

 Kerry also fit these in between the studs on the wall opposite of the sink for more storage. (below)

Building storage into a small space adds a little extra time to the project, but it adds so much peace of mind too!  Since closet space in the entire house is limited, the ability to roll towels and place them in the wall makes my life easier; I can roll the towels quickly to put them away and I'm not having to gather them for the kids (and my husband) to use, they can just pop them out of one of the cubbies easily.

My father-in-law teaching me how to do tile.  (He did most of the cutting, which is really the hardest part!)




*sigh* "much better!"



2 comments:

  1. You all did an ABSOLUTELY wonderful job ... you should be so proud of your work. I'm sure you'll really enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cody! We have been enjoying it and, like all house projects, wish we had done it sooner!

    ReplyDelete

Hi All,

I've had a few random people commenting not-so-nice content on my blogs so now you'll have to go through some comment moderation. But feel free to still leave comments if you'd like!

Thank you!
Krista