Monday, January 5, 2015

Make a Mix Monday: Taking a Favorite Family Recipe and Turning it into a Mix



There are so many wonderful places to find mixes BUT, have you ever had a family recipe that you loved, that you wished was just faster to make? 

My mother makes some pretty yummy, yet healthy(ish) blueberry muffins.  Some mornings (like 90% of them) I just can't wake up in time to get all the ingredients out, then bake them for the required 20 minutes and have their bake-time finished before my son leaves at 7:20!
The finished muffins do fine in the freezer, but some days it's just nice to have something fresh out of the oven, right?

So, I turned her recipe into a mix and I'll show you how I did it so that you can make your family recipes into a mix too.


To the original recipe:

Because milk is so expensive, I don't like using my good drinking milk in my baking - which is one good reason to like mixes! 

In this recipe, I changed my milk to 1/3 cup of powdered milk (1/3 cup + roughly 1 cup of water, as seen in the recipe).

I then wanted enough to make these muffins once a week (if I chose to).  So, some simple measurement math:  3 tsp = 1 Tbsp, 1/3 cup powdered milk makes 1 cup of milk.

Okay, here we go.

Make your recipe one time with your regular measurements, substituting your powdered milk where you would normally have milk.  So my mix recipe ended up looking like this:



But I want to make it to use four times so I multiplied everything and ended up with this recipe:




  So, what are you waiting for?  Do you have a family recipe that would make a good mix?  Give it try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi All,

I've had a few random people commenting not-so-nice content on my blogs so now you'll have to go through some comment moderation. But feel free to still leave comments if you'd like!

Thank you!
Krista