Monday, November 16, 2015

Baking Through the Alphabet: The Letter K

The Letter K


Our K Menu

  • Kebobs
  • Kiwi
  • Kefir
  • Kale salad (forgot to take a picture, but I use Dole pre-made Kale salads because I'm still not used to the taste of Kale.)







Baking Through the Alphabet: Krapfen (German Doughnuts)

 These took some time to make.  First of all, we halved the recipe (because we are eating a lot of baked goods and I didn't think we needed tons of donuts laying around all day.  We all know who would eat the majority of them!  Me!)  So, when you halve a recipe that calls for 3 eggs, I suppose I could have just used the egg yolk or just the egg white, but I wasn't sure, so I used ground flax seed to make half an egg.  And then used one real egg as well.  

Another item that took some time was putting the milk and vanilla on to boil.  When I need to boil water I just walk away from it and let it do it's thing until I hear the water boiling (this is probably why I'm not a great cook).  But not so with milk, you need to stand there and watch it and stir it constantly so that it won't burn.  
But then all the fun parts: 

Kneading the dough.  This was my daughter's first time to knead it by herself.  I didn't help with any of it.  "It's kind of fun, Mom.  It's almost like playing with playdough!".  Yes, yes it is.

 And cutting them out.

 The kids both had fun frying them but when our fire alarms went off they weren't too pleased (each alarm in the house is connected to one another, so nobody gets out of hearing it).  At least we know they work!!

The movie musical we chose for the letter K was The King and I.  This is one of my favorite musicals so I wanted my kids to have a chance to see it and enjoy it too.  When I was child watching this show, I loved the song, "I Whistle a Happy Tune".  I had a paper route then and had to go house to house to obtain money for the subscription.  There was a house that I had to go to that was a little creepy and I remember after watching the movie, that as I walked up the drive to that house I thought of that song.  It really gave me courage and the ability to be cheerful about Creepy House.


Another good one is Kiss Me Kate.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi All,

I've had a few random people commenting not-so-nice content on my blogs so now you'll have to go through some comment moderation. But feel free to still leave comments if you'd like!

Thank you!
Krista