Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Whatever Wednesday: Baking Through the Alphabet, Letter B

If you read our Monday post, you will have seen that my daughter missed out on some childhood memories that my son and nieces took part of because she was too young to remember it. So she wanted to replicate that childhood memory as a tween.

So for the next 13 Mondays and Wednesdays, we will be focusing on each letter of the alphabet.

Today is the letter B.

 Letter B Meal: 
  • Black bean Burritos
  • Broccoli
  • Blackberries
  • Blueberries (not pictured)  

Baking with the letter B was suppose to begin and end with Beinets (for my dad who loves all things French) but we were in between houses at the time and it just didn't happen.  So my daughter, Elise chose to learn how to make blueberry pancakes, which technically isn't baking I suppose, but she learned a skill and a recipe that she can make any time.  Sadly, I don't have any pictures of this.  :-(  But we used the recipe below, from the Betty Crocker Junior Cookbook (with a few changes). 

  
We poured the batter into the skillet and placed the blueberries in one at a time.  

Maybe we'll get to those Beinets now that we're moved into our new house.  If we do, I'll insert them in on this post.  

Letter B Musicals: (* = ones that are , in my opinion, decent or fun to watch; ** = kid friendly; *** = the one we watched for our alphabet musical)

  •  Bedknobs and Broomsticks***
  • Bambi**
  • Beauty and the Beast**
  • Babes in Toyland**
  • Blame It On the Samba**
  • Bye, Bye Birdie*
 If you've never seen Bedknobs and Broomsticks, it is a must, especially if you have young kids!  My 11 and 13 year old laughed out loud on many parts of it and my daughter was super excited about the magical fighting that takes place at the end.  It's set in England during WWII with a spinster woman who just wants to be a witch and is learning to be one via a correspondence course.  Three children come to live with her to be out of the city during air raids.  When they arrive, the fun begins!  

 Bambi of course is a classic.  

And Beauty and the Beast is one of my most favorite Disney full-length animated features because of the music and because Belle is such a good, good person who looks on the inside of a person.  If you read the original version of Beauty and Beast, that is my favorite fairy tale.  

Babes in Toyland is really a Christmas movie, at least we always have watched it at Christmas time. Most of the characters are from Mother Goose nursery rhymes.  

Blame it on the Samba is not really a full musical, but it is a song with a cartoon/show attached, so I included it - and it's fun, my kids still enjoy watching it!

Last, Bye Bye Birdie.  It is probably for a little bit older audience, maybe not really young children, but it's still rated G, so you can decide.   

 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi All,

I've had a few random people commenting not-so-nice content on my blogs so now you'll have to go through some comment moderation. But feel free to still leave comments if you'd like!

Thank you!
Krista